As a camp counselor on CIEE’s Camp Exchange USA program, you will spend up to nine weeks in the great outdoors, gaining new skills, learning to be a leader and experiential educator, and making friendships that last a lifetime. Plus, you will have 30 days following the camp experience to travel the country, taking in the sights, sounds, and tastes that make America unique!

We are only recruiting specialist counselors where you will guide the campers through a specific activity each day. Depending on the camp activities range from ceramics, music, water focus sports like kayaking, water skiing, boat driving, swimming etc., dance, archery, circus, fencing, stained glass, horseback riding, rock climbing, wilderness trip leaders, metalwork, and wood working.

  • Enjoy children and have experience with them e.g. coaches, teachers, youth workers, scouts, youth leaders or individuals with specialized skills.
  • At least 19 years of age by May 1st, 2016.
  • Have demonstrated leadership experience.
  • Strong English speakers.
  • Highly dedicated individuals.
  • Available to work for at least 9 weeks, from early May/mid June through to late August.

Who is eligible for the program?
University students, graduates, and non-students between the ages of 19 and 30 are eligible for the program. All applicants must have experience working with kids, leadership experience, and/or skills and experience in a general range of activities offered at summer camps.

Can I still apply if I can’t commit to nine weeks of work?
No, to be eligible for the program, you must be able to commit to the full nine weeks.

What skills and/or experience do I need to have?
You must have experience working with kids and/or hold skills relevant to the activities typically offered at U.S. summer camps. You could be a student, teacher, sports instructor, or youth worker. For a list of common activities offered at summer camps, please ask your program manager at Awesome Travel.

What is the application deadline?
The earlier you apply, the earlier you will receive a placement. Applications are accepted mid-August through 1 April. However, some local representatives require applications to be submitted by early February. Check with your local representative and don’t wait until the application deadline to apply!

How long after I apply will I hear about my placement?
We strive to secure you a placement as soon as possible. However, it takes time (sometimes weeks, sometimes months) to find the right placement for you. The earlier you apply, the better your chance for an early placement. Additionally, the more flexible you are about the type of camps you’re willing to work at and your dates of availability, and the more extensive your skills and experience with kids, the better your chances for a quick placement.

When do I leave for camp?
Camps can start at any time between May 25 and June 25. Your departure for camp will depend on your travel availability and your camp contract dates.

Can I smoke or drink at camp?
You are not allowed to smoke or drink at camp or on any camp property, and are not allowed to return to camp intoxicated. Smoking and drinking off camp grounds are both greatly discouraged, and each camp will have their own policy on these issues. Please remember, you are working with kids and should act as a role model for all campers by acting appropriately at all times, even on your days off. If you break any smoking or drinking rules during your time at camp, you may be fired. NOTE: The drinking age throughout the U.S. is 21.

Will I have any time off?
While at camp, you will have an average of one day off a week, as well as brief periods of time off during each day and one to two evenings off during the week. Each camp organizes time off differently and it is at their discretion.

What does my insurance cover?
Your insurance covers most medical care within the U.S. Please refer to the “Insurance” section of your participant handbook for full details of coverage.

I have a family emergency and need to return home immediately. What do I do?
Call CIEE at 1-888-COUNCIL (1-888-268-6245) immediately for assistance. You will also need to contact the insurance company, which may be able to assist with rebooking your flight.

I have to leave camp before the end of my contract. What happens now?
Call CIEE at 1-888-COUNCIL (1-888-268-6245) immediately to explain the situation and why you need to leave camp. You will be responsible for any costs that would have otherwise been paid by your camp. Please refer to the “Summer Contract” section of your participant handbook for more details.

Price is available on request


Your Title
Your First Name
Your Surname
Cell phone:
E-mail address:


Are You currently:
If studying, name place of study:
Year of study:
If working, name of employer:


Related Posts